The eldest of four boys, Charles was born in Port-Royal around 1667, as evidenced by the 1686 census. He and his descendants were nicknamed “Cadets” to distinguish them from the Prudents and the “Nigannes” (François), so much so that ‘in the census of 1714, it is registered with the name of Charles Cadet.
In 1686, he married Marie Thibodeau, who died in 1700 leaving him ten children: Isabel, René, Charles, Antoine, Augustin, Jean, Alexandre, Joseph, Françoise, Jacques.
In August 1695 (old style): Charles Robichaud takes the oath of loyalty to the King of England at Port-Royal; it makes its mark.
On June 9, 1703, he married for a second time Marie Bourg, widow of Jean Dubois, of Port-Royal, in the presence of his brothers, Prudent, Alexandre and François. Eight children were born from this second marriage: Joseph, Marie Madeleine, Pierre dit Cadet, Charles, Marie, Claire, Cécile and Marguerite dit cadet. The custom of naming two children of the same name in the same family was quite widespread among the Acadians. The genealogist Placide Gaudet has identified several whose authenticity is beyond doubt. In the case of the Joseph brothers, the Port-Royal registers allow them to be identified with certainty.
Charles knew the movements very early on. His land and his house, located on the site of what is now “Fort Anne” in Annapolis, were expropriated for the extension of the fort, as evidenced by the report of the surveyor, Sieur de Labat, dated 2 December 1705. He owned at that time a piece of land on rue Saint-Antoine and a house 30 feet long and 22 wide located on said street. This site was among the “lands and houses outside the fort to be put in esplanade”. The census of 1700 reveals to us that Charles had a modest livestock there, made up of 12 horned animals and 14 ewes, on his 16 arpents of land.
He then moved with his family and settled on land at Cap de Port-Royal, a small promontory inland, about half a mile from the fort, well indicated on the maps of Saccardy, fils ( 1690), and Paquin (1708). Unfortunately, the fort did not provide the necessary security against raids by settlers from New England. After Colonel Church’s failed attack in 1704, a new attack on June 6, 1707 also failed, but not without causing much damage. The shops, the chapel and many houses in Cape Town, including those of Charles and his brothers, were set on fire.
Getting back to work, he rebuilt his house, determined to stay in Cape Town despite the surrender of Port-Royal to the English in 1710. However, Charles had kept land in Port-Royal which he decided to sell on March 30, 1712. The description is made during the deed of sale of this land to bourgeois merchant John Adams of Port-Royal. This deed was drawn up before three witnesses by Prudent Robichaud and signed by the hand of Marie Bourg while Charles Robichaud made his mark. Here is the description: “The piece of high earth, measuring 60 feet in depth, is located along the strike of rue Dauphin, going from the side of rue Saint-Antoine and between the Pontiff and Gourdeau landmarks. The seller received the sum of 300 pounds in cash, before making this contract. Certified in front of Sam Vetch ”.
September 16, 1713 John Adams and his wife Hannah, of Boston, but residing in Annapolis Royal, sold Charles Hobby, also of Boston, for 25 pounds in New England silver land and a house in Annapolis, which Adams had bought from Charles Robichaud, or your land described above. The same day Hobby also purchased from John Adams a house also along Dauphin Road, as well as the church land, 45 feet by 45 feet, which belonged to Father Justinian.
In August 1714, La Ronde Denys de Pensens, preparing a list of the heads of families living in the vicinity of Annapolis Royal, the former Port-Royal thus renamed by the English in 1713, listed among the inhabitants of Cape Town “Charlot Cadet and his wife ”, parents of 8 boys and 2 girls. He was still there in 1718 when his daughter Marguerite was born.
However, the stay in Annapolis was becoming more and more unpleasant. Like so many others, Charles had his eyes on the fertile lands of Mines and Cobeguit, far from the hassles of English administration and near Louisbourg, where Acadians could sell their cattle. Cobequit especially offered the advantage of easy communications with the sea and with Ile Saint-Jean (PEI). This is where we find Charles as early as 1720.
The Cobequit then was not a village as we understand it today, but a fairly large territory comprising the entire bottom of the Minas Basin. In fact, all around present-day Cobequit Bay, the Acadians had settled in small groups of three or four families. All along this bay, small rivers flow and their mouth overlooks meadows and very fertile land. Each group of families settled on higher ground at the mouths of these rivers.
In this way, the meadows could be dammed, a good crop of meadow hay harvested and at the same time excellent pasture for the cattle. The herds were then an important source of income for the Acadians of this region. Led by the “chemin des émigrants” to Tatamagouche, then transported by boat, these cattle were sold to Louisbourg to supply French troops.
Cobeguit still had an excellent advantage from a safety point of view, the Bay being difficult to navigate by large ships. Moreover, in the event of an alert, the Acadians, sure of the protection of the Indians, could easily go up the rivers to put themselves out of the reach of the aggressors. This explains why the majority of the Acadians of Cobeguit escaped dispersal in 1755. Their villages, scattered along the bay, were connected first by a path, then by a motorable road which became the current road. Parrsboro-Truro.
In this large Cobeguit, Charles had chosen to settle it near the mouth of the present-day “Great Village River”. The site is today known as Great Village, Nova Scotia. Forty years ago, traces of Acadian gardens could still be seen there, as well as bricks from old kilns. This village was home to only three or four families, Charles and a few of his children. It also bore the rather significant name of “Village des Cadets”, named after Charles said younger.
On April 12, 1721, Governor Richard Philipps acknowledged receipt by Charles Robichaud of a letter from the inhabitants of Cobequit, assuring him that the Acadians had not incited the Indians to plunder the boat of a man named Alden. He says he is glad to know that they were not involved in the looting of the boat and assures that if they behave well, they will get his favor. At the same time, he acceded to the request of Charles Robichaud, who was the only MP, that three more be added to him. The inhabitants will make the choice which must be approved by him. But only one MP will be going to Annapolis Royal, and the locals will pay for his travel expenses.
But it wasn’t just the Acadians who were suspicious of the tricks of the English garrison at Annapolis. The savages were also very suspicious. Charles was quite comfortable with the language of the savages, and he was sometimes instructed by the governor to intervene to convey messages to them. During the meeting of the Council of Annapolis held on June 23, 1726 under the chairmanship of Lieutenant-Governor John Doucett, in the residence of John Adams, the Lieutenant-Governor noted the arrival of “Charles Robichau deputy for Cobaquit” who informed him that Charles communicated to the savages the letter he had entrusted to him and had given them the necessary explanations, They were to assemble at the Mines, but shortly before his arrival, a man named “Sheegau”, savage of “Cap Sable” dispersed them telling them that the lieutenant governor would not ratify the articles of peace unless all the chiefs of the different tribes were present. So they decided to wait to see what would happen.
Charles died before his second wife Marie Bourg. In fact, he had died during the marriage of their daughter Marie who at 25 years old married in Saint-Charles des Mines on May 18, 1737 in front of Charles de la Goudalie, Grand Vicar of Acadia, Pierre Arostey, 24, of the diocese of Bayonne, domiciled in the “Paroisse Saint-Pierre de Cobedie”, son of François Arostey and Marie Lassalde. The witnesses were Jean and Joseph Robichaut, brothers of the wife, and Jean Lebert and Ambroise Bourg.
Alexandre Robichaud and Joseph Robichaud are among the exiles we meet around St-MaIo. During the 1772 census, the two men are said to be brothers and Alexandre, the eldest of the two, is forty-five years old, therefore born around 1727. However, in 1759, Alexandre and Joseph had arrived in Saint-Malo in the same contingent as Joseph Robichaud and Claire LeBlanc, François Robichaud and Agathe Turpin, Augustin Robichaud, Charles Robichaud (to Joseph and Madeleine Dupuis) and Pierre Robichaud (to Jean and Marie Léger). All these Robichaud are the sons or grandsons of Charles Robichaud dit Cadet. We presume that Alexander and Joseph were also grandsons of Charles, but their father does not appear to have been among the sons of Charles with whom they arrived in France. It seems impossible to us that they are sons of Jean or Joseph Robichaud (husband of Madeleine Dupuis). We are therefore led to believe that Alexander and Joseph were from a marriage that has not been documented anywhere, to a son of the first marriage of Charles Robichaud said to be younger. Among the sons of this one, our attention is drawn to Alexandre, because we believe that it is indeed him who appears among the heirs of Abraham Bourg in Cobeguit in 1754. We thus conclude that Alexandre Robichaud, son of Charles Robichaud and Marie Thibodeau, married a daughter of Abraham Bourg.